Riders who genuinely care for their horse will often seek pain relief options that minimise their recovery time and help relieve tired, aching joints and muscles. These options can range from invasive options (that require surgery), pharmaceutical (that require drugs), and non-invasive options (that require neither surgery nor drugs). For those seeking effective non-invasive pain relief options, magnetic therapy for horses is proving to be a popular choice for its ease of application and noticeable results. In this article, we explore what magnetic therapy is, how it works and what benefits it can provide to your horse’s health and well-being.
What is Magnetic Therapy for Horses?
Equine magnetic therapy, also known as magnetic therapy for horses or horse magnet therapy, is a non-invasive and natural form of treatment that uses magnetic fields to improve the health and well-being of horses. This type of therapy has been gaining popularity in recent years as a safe and effective way to treat low-level injuries and conditions.
How does Magnetic Therapy work?
Magnetic field therapy for horses involves placing magnets on the horse’s body or using magnetic blankets, wraps, or boots to apply a magnetic field to the affected area. The magnetic field is believed to improve circulation, reduce inflammation, and stimulate cell regeneration, which can help to promote healing and relieve pain.
PEMF therapy for horses, which stands for Pulsed Electromagnetic Field therapy, is also a type of magnetic therapy that uses a pulsing magnetic field to stimulate the body’s cells and tissues. This type of therapy has been shown to have a wide range of benefits for horses, including improved circulation, reduced inflammation, and enhanced tissue repair.
Tack Tip – It is essential to articulate that magnets per se do not heal. They are seen as a factor in creating an optimal environment for healing. Scientific evidence for the healing process is limited, and what exists is inconclusive. Horse riders worldwide are providing anecdotal evidence for the recuperative benefits of magnetic therapy.
Magnetic therapy benefits for horses
So, what are the benefits of equine magnetic therapy, and how can it help your horse? Let’s take a closer look.
- Reduced inflammation and pain relief: Magnetic therapy has been shown to have anti-inflammatory effects and can help to reduce pain and swelling in horses with injuries or conditions such as arthritis.
- Improved circulation: Magnetic therapy can help improve blood flow and oxygenation to the affected area, speeding up the healing process and improving overall health.
- Faster recovery from injuries: By stimulating cell regeneration and tissue repair, magnetic therapy can help horses to recover more quickly from injuries, such as strains, sprains, and fractures.
- Improved performance: Magnetic therapy can help improve overall health and well-being, leading to better performance in competitions and other activities.
- Non-invasive and drug-free: Magnetic therapy is a natural and non-invasive treatment that does not require drugs or other invasive procedures.
Magnetic horse boots and other equine magnetic products
The magnetic therapy product range is growing, and with it, so too is the quality and research informing it. Whilst the following is not an exhaustive list of available products, it is a handy summary of the most sought-after products:
- Magnetic horse boots: These boots are designed to be worn on horses’ lower legs and hooves and provide continuous magnetic therapy to these areas.
- Magnetic blankets: These products are designed to be placed over larger areas of the horse’s body, such as the back, hip, or shoulder, and provide a more widespread magnetic field.
- Magnetic wraps: These can target specific areas of the horse’s body, such as the knees or hocks, and provide a localised magnetic field.
- Magnetic therapy halters: These halters are designed to provide magnetic therapy to the horse’s head and neck, which can help to improve overall health and well-being.
Magnetic therapy for equine injuries
Magnetic therapy can be particularly effective for treating many equine injuries, including strains, sprains, and fractures. By reducing inflammation and stimulating tissue repair, magnetic therapy can help horses to recover more quickly and thoroughly from these types of injuries.
Magnetic therapy can also treat chronic conditions such as arthritis, a significant source of pain and discomfort for many horses. By reducing inflammation and promoting healing, magnetic therapy can help to relieve pain and improve mobility in horses with arthritis.
Tack Tip – Whilst magnetic therapy may well be attributable to the above, there are a few conditions where exposure to magnets is not advised. These include:
- Open wounds
- Around people who are pregnant
- Mares in foal
- Around people or animals with pacemakers
Please seek expert equine veterinarian advice for health-related questions about your horse.
Magnetic therapy for horse performance enhancement
In addition to its therapeutic benefits, magnetic therapy can also be used to enhance the performance of horses. By improving circulation and promoting overall health and well-being, magnetic therapy can help horses to perform better in competitions and other activities.
It’s important to note that the effectiveness of magnetic therapy products can vary depending on several factors, including the strength and placement of the magnets, as well as the duration and frequency of the therapy sessions. It’s always best to consult with a veterinarian or equine health professional before beginning any new treatment regimen for your horse.
Whilst the science behind magnetic therapy is still emerging, plenty of anecdotal evidence points towards the benefits of magnets in assisting recovery and overall well-being. If you’ve bought magnetic therapy products from us, share your experience in the product review section.
If you are interested in making a purchase after your research, visit your favourite online saddlery and review their product range.
If you’re still unsure about what magnetic therapy products suit your horse, contact your online saddlery, and they’ll provide you with the information you need.
So, whether you’re a professional equestrian or a casual rider, equine magnetic therapy can provide a safe and effective way to improve the health and well-being of your horse. With its wide range of benefits and non-invasive nature, magnetic therapy is becoming the go-to way to enhance recovery and improve a horse’s overall well-being.
Disclaimer: The information above is general in nature and should not be considered personalised veterinarian advice. Please consult your equine veterinarian for health matters relating to your horse.